Pla de Na Tesa
The name “Pla de Na Tesa” is found written for first time at 1816, although it’s supossed before that date.
The word “Pla” means plain, a surface without elevations, and “Na Tesa” is a women name who, according to local tradition, is derivative of a owner named Ms Teresa, shorted Tesa.
The make up lands are part of the municipality of Marratxí subject, since reconquest, at the Barony of Bishops of Barcelona.
In 1857, the main owners decided (according to the priest of Sant Marçal) to buy a plot between the paths Muntanya and Son Alegre and give it to bishopric. In this field, in early 1858, was placed the first stone of the temple, and the work ended on 27th October 1864.
In 1874 the sacristy stood on the left side of the temple, and between that year and 1876, all the temple was consolidated.
The bell tower was started in 1889, a neogothic-classical mix, and was finished with placement of two bells, the small one from Barcelona and largest from Ciutat (Palma).
With the construction of the new church, village began around it in streets: Sant Llatzer first, where lords of Palma built their recreation houses. After this was built tavern Ca’n Membre, Ca’n Vador, Ca’n Coll, Son Ametler, Ca’s Garriguer, Ca’n Curt, Ca’n Mas, Son Llebre…
The word Marratxí comes from Arabic and means Moroccan, Natural of Marraquesh, the former capital of Morocco.
Marratxí is located at the western part of Mallorca, the contact area between Raiguer and Pla, between Bunyola, Santa Maria del Camí and Palma.
This municipality, with an area of 5,400 hectares approximately, has several towns, like Pòrtol, the craftest town from Marratxí with ceramic potteries and even fireworks workshops; Sa Cabaneta, located in a gentle hill that keeps the beauty of the Sant Marçal church; Marraxinet lingers on the face of traditional village; Pla de Na Tesa, which retains a peaceful charm and Pont d’Inca, Marratxi place that with the contact (of Palma) becomes city.
It highlight the “possessions” (hamlets) of Son Alegre, Son Macia, Son Veri, Son Sureda, Son Sales, churches of Sant Marçal, San Alons and Sant Llàtzer and Son Bonet aerodrome.
Currently this municipality, mix past and future, a promising future which is determined by new urbanizations development which have emerged from population increase in recent times (Pont d’Inca Nou, Son Ramonell, Es Garrovers, …).